Apply for a PAN card online | PAN Map Download and Status Tracking | Types and forms of PAN cards | PAN stands for Permanent Account Number. This is a 10-digit code with letters and numbers used to identify people. To prevent people from not paying taxes, the Income Tax Department must provide this number to every possible taxpayer. This is possible because the PAN is an electronic system that tracks what taxpayers do with their money.
Private spending on tax evasion exceeds Rs. 300,000 crore income tax. Thus, citizens must know what the Pan Card is for use and its details. Therefore, in today’s article, we will learn everything related to a permanent account number. Also, how to download and apply online and all the latest updates until 2022.
Table of Contents
What is a PAN Card?
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number. Through this government identifies taxpayers in a country. PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number issued to Indians, predominantly taxpayers.
The PAN system provides each Indian taxpayer with a unique identification number. All tax-related information about a person is stored under one PAN number. Two taxpaying organizations cannot have the same PAN because it is nationwide. PAN is a number, but a PAN card includes your PAN, name, date of birth (DoB), father’s or spouse’s name, and photo. This card serves as ID and DOB. Your PAN card is for life because changing the address does not affect it.
Please Note: The deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar cards is March 31, 2023.
What Information is Available on a PAN Card?
It typically includes the father’s name, date of birth, 10-digit PAN number, photo, and cardholder’s signature.
- A 10-digit alphanumeric number is created with each character in the PAN representing a unique piece of decoded information.
- The first three letters are strictly alphanumeric and include three letters.
- The fourth letter of the taxpayer’s PAN indicates which taxpayer the company or individual is. A – Association of Individuals B – Group of Individuals C – Company F – Enterprise G – Government H – Indian Indivisible Family L – Local Government J – Synthetic Entity P – Individual T – Association of Trust Beneficiaries
- The fifth letter is the first letter of the person’s last name.
- The rest of the characters are determined randomly.
- PM Kisan eKYC Online
The permanent business account number will not include photos or names of the father. DOB replaces the company registration date, and the company’s name returns to the named cardholder.
What Makes the PAN Number Crucial?
It is a vital document for taxpayers as it keeps track of deposits and withdrawals. In addition, a permanent account number will keep track of how much taxes you pay.
If someone is eligible to pay tax by the state, the absence of a permanent account number means:
- India’s Income Tax Department imposes a 30% tax on income and wealth. This law applies to tax-eligible persons and businesses, including foreign nationals and enterprises registered outside India.
- You cant be able to buy a car, buy property exceeding Rs. 10 lakh, or open a bank account.
- Unable to execute financial and purchasing operations if an individual has businesses are running.
PAN QR Code Reader
The advanced QR code reader reads PAN card data. The applicant does not require authorization or registration. The software allows the camera to read the PAN cardholder information from the QR code. After the application scans the QR code, the applicant must agree not to misuse the data.
Who Is the Issuing Body?
The Department of Income Tax assigns permanent account numbers with the assistance of UTI ITSL and NSDL, authorized PAN agencies at the district level. Protean e-Gov Technologies Limited operates TIN Facilitation Centers and PAN Centers nationwide to help people obtain their PAN cards.
The History of PAN Card in the Country
Before the introduction of the PAN, taxpayers were assigned a GIR number as There was no scanning. It was mostly a manual method specific to a particular service or a single review authority. Because the GIR is not unique, there is a greater possibility of miscalculations, errors, and incidents of mistaken identity during imposition.
The Indian government rolled out the PAN system in 1972. In 1976, all taxpayers were required to obtain a PAN number, which was previously optional. Initially, PAN numbers were assigned manually to avoid duplication, which gave each department/circle a separate number range. 1995 marked the conclusion of this series.
How Many Different Types of PAN Cards Exist?
The types of pan cards are:
- PAN (for a government agency)
- An Artificial Juridical Person
- PAN Card for Indian Individuals
- A PAN Card for Indian Companies
- A PAN for People Living Abroad
- PAN for foreign companies
- The Association of Persons
- A Limited Liability Partnership
- Body of Individuals (BOI)
- PAN for Partnership Firm
- PAN for Trust
- PAN for the Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- PAN for Local Authority.
If you want to apply for a PAN card, you should know that the application forms required by each listed entity are distinct. Keep reading to learn more about the application process!
PAN Card Benefits
In many situations, the permanent account number is a significant way of proving who you are. Also, it is a mandatory document to have for the accomplishment of several following procedures, including:-
- Taxpayers need a permanent account number because it is required for all financial transactions and is used to track the inflow and outflow of money.
- PAN is necessary when you pay income tax, get a tax refund, or hear from the income tax department.
- PAN cards can be used as ID cards for different schemes or other reasons.
- A PAN card will keep track of the amount of tax you pay.
- When you file your income tax or ITR return, you must include your PAN.
- You can get utilities such as electricity, telephone, gas, and internet with a fixed account number.
- Linking your bank account to your PAN will allow you to get a refund if the TDS you paid was more than the actual tax you owed.
- Pan assists in buying and selling real estates, such as a house or a car, which is worth more than Rs. 10 million.
- When registering a company, you must provide your PAN number.
- Payments of bonds, stocks, and insurance policies worth more than Rs.50000.
- You must show your PAN card when you make a financial transaction worth more than Rs.50000.
- Pan Card is a reference required to deposit more than Rs.50000 in cash in one day.
- Life insurance premiums cost more than Rs.5 Lakh in a financial year.
- Foreign travel payments will be taxed if the amount exceeds Rs 25,000.
- Transfer money from a Non-Resident External Account (NRE) to a Non-Resident Ordinary Account (NRO).
- Since NRE is a tax-free account and NRO is taxable, you will need a permanent account number when transferring to a taxable account.
- If payments are made for jewellery and precious metals worth more than Rs 5 lakh.
- To buy shares in a mutual fund,
- Any vehicle other than a two-wheeler can be sold or bought, such as two-wheelers, cars, or heavy vehicles.
- A PAN card can be used when paying more than 25,000 rupees to a hotel, motel, or restaurant.
- To send money outside India, you need a PAN card.
PAN Card Eligibility
Below is a list of organizations entitled to a permanent account number according to Section 139A of the Income Tax Law.
- Anyone who has paid tax or owes tax to the income tax department.
- A company owner with Rs. 5 lakh in annual sales.
- Karta or family head of any Hindu Undivided Family (HUF).
- Any Corporation, LLP, AOP/BOI, etc.
- Charity, trust, or organization.
- Any potential future taxpayer who is still a minor must apply for a PAN card.
- All participants abroad in an Indian subsidiary for foreign investments.
- The applicant must have a current Aadhar
Brief: In India, PAN cards are issued to anyone who pays tax, including individuals, corporations, students, children, Hindu undivided families, limited liability partnerships, associations of persons, trusts, artificial legal persons, local authorities, and partnership firms, non-residents, etc.
Documents Required to Apply for PAN Card
According to Form 49A or Form 49AA, the applicant must have the following documents:
For individual applicants, generally:
Aadhaar- any photo identification card issued by a state or central government agency or a public sector arms license. An authentic bank document on the bank’s letterhead and published by the branch where the account holder maintains an account. This document must be verified by the authority providing it and contain a certified photo of the applicant along with the bank account number.
Address Proof of the applicant any one of the following can do the work
- Indian Bank account statement.
- Postpaid cell phone bills (like in Gio, Airtel, Vodafone, BSNL, etc.)
- bill for electricity and broadband Internet service.
- Credit card statements (banks that are from India only).
- The gas connection bill
- Passbook for the Post Office
- Deposit account statement
- driving license,
- Voter ID card.
Date of Birth Proof (any one of the following is enough)
- Passport 10th Certificate
- Driving License, Domicile Certificate
- Municipal Authority-issued DOB Certificate
- Marriage Certificates issued by the Registrar of Marriages
If the applicant comes from an undivided Hindu family (HUF), they must provide:
Identity proof, address proof, date of birth, and proof of nationality. The Karta of the HUF issued an affidavit.
For Companies, the documents are:
The Registrar of Companies issues the Registration Certificate.
Documents for individuals who are not Indian Citizens
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
How You Can Get a PAN Card Offline
- Go to the official PAN centre.
- Get a PAN CARD form, fill it and attach a photo and some documents (ID, proof of address)
- Send the form and the fees for the treatment to the PAN centre.
- Your permanent account number will be sent to you by post to your address.
How You Can Get a PAN Card Online
- PAN card download for Indian citizens needs form 49A.
- Foreign entities must file Form 49AA.
- Downloading a PAN card requires Aadhar and residential address.
- With a few clicks, candidates may get a permanent account number from NSDL or UTIITSL websites or through the mobile app.
Filling Out Form 49A or 49AA for PAN Online
There are four options for filling out the PAN Card form online, and they are:
a) Submission of a physical form b) e-KYC based c) e-Sign option d) digital signature based.
- Physical form: First, select the category of the person before applying for a permanent account number. Then, please fill the form with accurate facts and recheck it before you pay the money. Pay the PAN card fee online, and you will receive form 49A or 49AA and a payment receipt via email. Print and attach two passport-size photographs (background should be white) signed and attached to the required papers. Please send it to Income Tax PAN Services Unit of NSDL at Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune 411016.
- E-KYC: Applicant’s Aadhaar data is acquired for PAN card application, and the card is mailed to the residential address of the Aadhaar card.
- E-Sign approach: this method requires uploading necessary papers and a scanned image. NSDL needs physically attested documents.
- This approach requires uploading documents, images, and proven supporting documents to NSDL.
PAN Card Download Through UTIITSL
- Click here for PAN Card services on the UTIITSL portal.
- Click on Download e-PAN and then enter the required PAN, Aadhar, Date of Birth, and GSTN details
- 10-digit alphanumeric PAN documents should include your date of birth.
- GSTIN required. Please enter the captcha code. Check and submit your information.
- You will now receive a link on your phone or email. You can download the e-PAN Card using the OTP. There is no price for downloading an e-PAN card.
Download PAN Card Through App
- Download the permanent account number through AppStore or Play Store “Pan Card Download App.”
- After opening the app, select NSDL or UTIITSL Pan Card.
- Tap on “Download e-PAN Card.” Then, select Go to the website to visit NSDL or UTIITSL website.
- Give your 15-digit confirmation number.
- Click Submit for OTP.
- Enter the OTP and download the card once it starts.
e-Pan Card Download by Aadhar Number
- Visit NSDL or UTIITSL websites.
- Click on Download e-PAN card (for PAN issued more than 30 days ago) on the NSDL web page. UTIITSL website.
- Select PAN card services and then Download e-PAN. Enter PAN, Aadhar, DOB, and GSTN (if applicable).
- Send and verify OTP.
- After confirmation, click “Download PDF.”
- e-PAN PDF card is password protected. The DOB is the password. Enter your birthday to view your e-PAN.
e-Pan Card Download by Pan No
- People who have Aadhaar numbers may get their PAN instantly.
- Click Here for the website of the department.
- Follow the government guidelines.
- Select ‘Instant PAN with Aadhaar‘ under “Quick Links.” Click on ‘Get New PAN.’
- To approve the request, provide your Aadhaar number and captcha code.
- Select ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’ to get OTP on your phone.
- Enter the OTP, and you will receive an email and SMS confirmation number.
How to Correct Pan Card Information Online
It’s one thing to have a permanent account number with the wrong information,
- Go to UTIITSL or NSDL’s official website.
- Click on “Apply Online.”
- Click “Application Type” and select Form 49A or Form 49AA from the drop-down menu. Note that the first is for Indian candidates, and the second is for candidates from other foreign countries.
- Select “Changes or corrections to an existing PAN card” under “Application Type.”
- You will be redirected to a new page where you must fill in the PAN card correction form with the correct information.
- Click “Send” after you have uploaded all the necessary documents.
- Please send it to the Income Tax PAN Service Unit of NSDL.
Linking Pan Card With Bank
- Step 1: Log in to your bank’s online application using your username and password.
- Step 2: Select PAN Registration, Service Requests, or Service. Choose the best.
- Step 3: Update or connect your PAN.
- Step 4: Enter your PAN and other details.
- After following the above steps, your PAN and bank account should be linked within seven working days.
Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Linking with SMS
- The message format for the mobile test connector is UIDPAN followed by and. Send the message to 56161 or 567678 using the mobile number associated with your aadhar card (mobile must be updated with aadhar to proceed further).
- You will receive a confirmation message about matching your Aadhaar and PAN.
Aadhaar linking Online
- Visit the IRS e-registration portal in Chrome. The form requires fixed account numbers, Aadhaar numbers, and Aadhar card names. If your birth year is in Aadhar, check the box to continue. Enter the image captcha code to continue. Proceed by clicking on ‘Aadhar Link.’
PAN Card Customer Care
- Income Tax Department Call Center 0124-2438000, 18001801961
- NSDL Call Center 02027218080, (022) 2499 4200
- UTIITSL Portal Call Center 022-67931300, +91(33) 40802999, Mumbai Fax: (022) 67931399
- PAN Card Tollfree Number 18001801961 1800 222 990 NSDL Tollfree